Smiths Connectors is now Smiths Interconnect


Current Rating

The current of the Spring Contact Probe is determined by the power (heat) generated by the current and resistance (I2R) and the ability of the probe and mounting plate to dissipate this heat. The base material, plating and bulk size of the probe are critical in determining the current rating. Also taken into consideration are the mounting centers, the mounting material, the ambient temperature and the duty cycle.

Contact Resistance

The resistance of a Spring Contact Probe is dependent upon the base materials, platings and physical design. The typical current path of a probe is from the plunger to the barrel and then through the receptacle and out to the wire. Approximately 99% of the current will follow this path. The remaining 1% of the current will flow through the spring.

RF Performance

Smiths Connectors' Coaxial Probes are available with operating frequency up to 3 GHz for shielding plunger designs and 500 MHz for designs without shielding plungers.  Our Spring Probe Connector designs are capable of operating frequencies over 20 GHz at -1dB.  Signal path length and field array population are key considerations in determining the operating frequency of our connectors.